Are you Eligible for Motability?
The Motability Scheme enables disabled people to lease a new car, scooter or powered wheelchair by exchanging their Government funded mobility allowance.
Motability Eligible Allowances
- Higher Rate Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance (HMRC DLA)
- Personal Independence Payment (ERMC PIP)
- War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement (WPMS)
- Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP)
Motability Eligibility Facts
- There is no upper age limit.
- Parents or guardians can order a car on behalf of a child aged three years and above, who is receiving HRMC DLA.
- You must have at least 12 months’ award length remaining.
- Only the higher or enhanced rate of the mobility allowance is used.
- The Attendance Allowance cannot be used to lease a car through Motability.
- Only one nominated driver under 21 is permitted. This can be you or another driver who lives at your address.
- Drivers under 25 can only drive cars in the lower ABI insurance groups of 1-16, a brake horsepower rating of 115BHP or less.
- Proposed drivers with certain convictions, disqualifications or endorsements within the last five years will not be allowed.
Would you like to add a driver?
- If you receive the allowance but are unable to drive, you can nominate up to two drivers, and a third at an additional cost.
- Friends, relatives or carers can apply on behalf of a child aged 3 and above.
- Nominated drivers should normally live within five miles of the disabled customer's address.
- Proposed drivers will also be needed to agree to the terms and conditions for using a Motability car.
Need Help Checking Your Eligibility?
- Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment (UK: 08457 123456 or DWP)
- Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment (NI: 028 9090 6182)
- War Pensioners' Mobility Supplement/ Armed Forces Independence Payment (0800 169 2277 or Veterans UK website)